How can we improve Hulu?

Live TV Buffering Issues

Hulu needs to eventually fix the buffering issues. It doesn't happen as often on my Android device but using Windows10 PC it happens quite frequently...granted it is in Beta I consistently get 100Mbps DOWN/ 100Mbps UP which is plenty. This is a direct fiber connection from my ISP. It happened frequently when I was trying to watch a little of the Formula1 race this morning. Buffering issues should be non existent in today's time if the company is willing to open the pipe large enough. Nothing else was going in my house to cause Internet lag issues.

2,935 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jason White shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Nicklas Herrera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been so embarrassing to have people over for NCAA March madness games and have to apologize over and over regarding the freezing and glitching video feed. We have actually had to move to a neighbors house who uses PS Vue just to get stability. I am so embarrassed and ******. You are failing your client base miserably.

• Robyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are six days into our 7-day free trial and the buffering issues have become practically intolerable. We'll likely go with another service until we learn this problem has been solved for good.

• Renee DeCoskey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually left YouTube TV for Hulu Live TV. I've been using Hulu for years and when I looked at the channel line up, I liked it better than what YouTube had to offer. In the entire time that I used YouTube TV, it never once buffered or skipped. I've had Hulu's Live TV for 2 days and I watched it for 30 minutes before it cut out completely for about an hour. Everything skips and buffers all the time on every channel. I removed everything from recording to Cloud DVR because I'd honestly rather watch the streaming version than the live, skipping version. I miss things and it's frustrating. It's especially irritating when audio doubles up and isn't synced. If everyone else can figure this out, surely Hulu can. Especially at $40 a month. "Working On It" since Nov. 28, 2017??? Please work harder :(

• Inderpal Kaur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CNN buffering is becoming UNACCEPTABLE over the last week .. from 3/13 - 3/21...! no problem really prior to this issue... and getting worse. i

• Maryann M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hulu Live becomes completely unwatchable AT LEAST once an hour. Not just stuttering but complete mismatch of picture and audio - program audio runs over ad video, doubled stream of audio, freezing/repeating. I tried every test and reset and then downloaded a test of DirecTV Now. No problem at all on the very same stations! Probably going to switch when our DirectTV trial is over if Hulu does not resolve its streaming issues by then. We prefer the Hulu interface - although I agree with the posters who've noted that a Guide format for the Live programming would be better and it would be helpful to segregate live and on demand altogether. In any case, a nice interface is secondary to a working stream and Hulu Live is not reliably streaming whether we're watching morning, noon, or night. ....And seriously, the original post that Hulu is "working on" is from 6 months ago.

• naomi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just joined. Live the interface and content. But it is impossible to watch MSNBC. The voice and image are out of sync and there is constant stuttering. I am investigating other services.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, what is the status on this? Updated over four months ago that it is being "worked on." This stuttering also affects when I'm "recording" shows to the Cloud DVR. Makes me want to switch services.

• Lincoln Apeland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I"m in my tryout period, and probably won't stay. App is not very user friendly, but mainly it's the 5 second lockups every 10 minutes on Live TV that I can't deal with.

I'm on Hulu, with a wired ethernet connection running about 110/sec. Good quality HDMI cable, good everything. I'm doing my part, Hulu, but I don't think my part includes paying $39 a month while you're still figuring it out.

• jim robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also get **** live tv with the service. going to look elsewhere. its a shame but Hulu should have this fixed by now. can get through the news without it stopping and skipping and sometimes the channels disappear.

• joe cianfarani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We shouldn't have to do this but put the video quality to high. That will stop the skipping every 3 seconds.

• Cassie Stango commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The buffering is so bad it's like using Sling in the first 12 months that it existed. I'm surprised that a company that is pretty darn good at streaming shows that aren't live have so much trouble with the live tv. In comparison YouTube TV didn't buffer once during it's trial last week and my most recent usage of Sling was decent, with buffering only ~3% of the time.

With Hulu TV we've been lucky to make it through an hour without some sort of buffering or a channel dropping out altogether.

It's a shame, but it is simply not worth the cost at this point. We're going to try it again in 6 months and hope for some improvement.

• John Singley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The buffering issues are taking us to the edge. Never buffering on my Galaxy S8 phone via Hulu app. However, in my home with 100 mbs and Roku Ultra, buffering is constant. We are moving closer to dropping Hulu Live and back to Sling.

• Rob Schatz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Started Hulu Live in January. Terrible buffering/freezing/blurring/audio sync, both via iPad and Apple TV 4th gen. Put account on hold for a few weeks, hoping to see improvement.
    Re-activated last week to try again during March Madness: Much improvement, but still a very long way to go to be considered stable, reliable alternative. 60 FPS offerings are appreciated.
    Hoping that improvement is rapid and permanent. Frankly, if competitors offered local networks in my area, I would've already given up on Hulu. The service has a short window to work with, as I suspect locals available in a fairly short time.
    Hulu- the ball is in your court.

• Michael Sawyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

6 months, no progress... This is 100% a Hulu Live TV problem for the majority of these people complaining. Streaming works fine, except for Live TV. Video shouldn't lag on gigabit internet connections where a Fire TV, laptop and phone are the only devices on the network... I can't imagine how many customers you've turned off of Hulu because this is continually not fixed. Sure a guide would be great, but what's it matter if you can't actually watch what you selected anyway. You need to make this your main focus. You need to keep customers that are tangling by a thread informed as to what's being done before they leave. Even if you want to claim that it's beta and similar services face the same issues, that doesn't mean that you should just be satisfied with the current state of your Live service.

• Jeff Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NCAA tournament video is horrible on apple tv and hulu. Also Time Warner as service provider. Minutes at a time for video to catch up. Cannot make it through several minutes of game without video stopping to catch up Hulu is really bad. Sling was a little better but could not get true tv without a provider.

• Pete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on my 5th day of the free trial (that won't be renewed), experiencing the same Buffering/Freezing (B/F) issues that most folks on this forum are talking about. Though not constant (they typically occur 2-3x per hour on all platforms), the B/F never allows you to feel completely comfortable watching anything; you're always sitting on pins and needles waiting for it to happen, like in the last 30 seconds of a basketball game or the moment the protagonist in a movie pulls the trigger on his gun. The TV watching experience is ruined!

What amazes (and irritates) me most about it is Hulu's complete head-in-the-sand attitude towards what is obviously a significant technical flaw in the product (and I fully appreciate the complexities involved in live audio/video over a network). Here's a few suggestions for Hulu while it works out the kinks...

1) Get out in front of this!!! Let people know what to expect (a flawed product still in Beta) and when you expect a solution to the problem

2) Don't charge $39/mo until the bugs are worked out; after all, we ARE your Beta testers

3) Have a Buffering / Freezing status link on your website where folks can go for the latest info. I won't be back (and I really want to be) until I know this issue is fixed

4) Fix your horrendous User Interface!!! (and fire the person who designed it) Minimally, separate On Demand from Live options and make it easier to find out what's playing Live (ala the cable guide)

PLEASE get these things fixed and give me the satisfaction of cutting the cord once and for all!

• David Best commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the frequent buffering, stuttering replays and freezing, add to the audio and video slip significantly out of sync. Right now I'm watching a TripAdvisor ad with the sound from an OTC medicine. At times HULU Live TV is pretty much unwatchable.

• Kimberly Peters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto here with the freezing, multi-second replays, and sound overlap. Heading over to YouTube (I really hope they carry Drunk History!) and will consider coming back once the bugs are worked out.

• Melissa Wilcox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is getting unbearable. I have been using Hulu LiveTV for a few months now. In the beginning, it was just infrequent buffering. Then the buffering got worse and it started to freeze for a few moments. The freezing has gotten worse. Then it started the "deja vu" phase where it would play something and then cut back and replay the past few seconds. That has now gotten to where it will cut back and replay up to 30 seconds of previous content, which when it catches back up, means that you will miss the end of just about anything you are watching. Very frustrating. I am looking into Sling and YouTube as soon as I finish typing this. I like Hulu and will consider coming back when this issue has been addressed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 82 83

Feedback and Knowledge Base