How can we improve Hulu?

Live TV Buffering Issues

Hulu needs to eventually fix the buffering issues. It doesn't happen as often on my Android device but using Windows10 PC it happens quite frequently...granted it is in Beta I consistently get 100Mbps DOWN/ 100Mbps UP which is plenty. This is a direct fiber connection from my ISP. It happened frequently when I was trying to watch a little of the Formula1 race this morning. Buffering issues should be non existent in today's time if the company is willing to open the pipe large enough. Nothing else was going in my house to cause Internet lag issues.

3,165 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jason White shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1822 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still in my free trial. Just gave back all my cable boxes to Spectrum yesterday. The buffering/freezing is unbelievable. I got Hulu only because of the live channels and news. I actually gave up some of the channels I watch the most because Hulu doesn't carry them. Well, after seeing all the buffering and freezing, I will be looking for another service. Oh, and the interface sucks.Take a look at TitanTV. That is how a guide should look.

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Hulu to stream old shows on my Samsung Tv. It continually loads, stalls, skips to the end, or restarts. What is the problem??? It is frustrating to pay for a service and not get what you expect. I am almost ready to give up on HULU. I thought about live TV, but NO WAY. FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!

• Savanna Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been having the same issue with my Hulu through my Fire TV. I eventually give up and swap to watching on my phone.

• Benjamin Andres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HULU live TV is basically unwatchable on Apple TV. Been on the phone with Hulu several times, they say they're working on it, but that was weeks ago. Nothing has changed.

• Teresa Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My problems are not with live TV buffering. It's buffering recorded shows when I have full signal nothing else running and it's taking 2 hrs to watch 30 minutes of TV. This isn't worth paying for

• David Sutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problems for me as well on Apple TV (doesn't seem as bad on Fire TV, but still happens). MSNBC in particular is at times completely unwatchable with double and triple audio, fast-forwarding video to catch up, long buffering pauses, etc.

• Robert Ratcliff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problems here. Hulu is in denial or refuses to address THEIR problem. It isn't Apple TV, my connection, or settings. It is Hulu Live that has the issues of buffering, freezing, video fast forwarding to catch up, audio sync issues just to name the few off the top of my head. It happens all day, every day. Never happens when I switch over to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or YouTube on the SAME Apple TV and connection. Hulu it is you! This should be reported to the FCC in my opinion.

• Laurel Phoenix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I talked to a rep today about these problems with Live TV - skipping, freezing, getting out of sync audio, and the rep acted like she's never heard of these problems and that they were clearly the network feed, OR my system somehow! This, when I have zero problems with their library. Very frustrating that they won't even acknowledge the problem or that it's being worked on. Clearly I am not the only one here!

• Donelly Tobiere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are we subjected to this lingering issue but still being charged full subscription price for the service? I didn't purchase Hulu service to ONLY watch movies. I primarily purchase the service for the Live TV ---

The service SUCKS!!.

Hulu has the funds to advertise during the Stanley Cup and other venues but they don't have the funds to FIX the Live TV Streaming issue.

• Jim Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Live version of HULU Live definitely needs repair. The "Live TV Experience" that HULU brags about reminds me of the old 14400 dial up days when you kept trying several different phone numbers until you found one that had a port for you! Then you waited several minutes to download a picture and videos took hours (there was no live streaming then).

I, too, have been trying to watch the NBA playoffs live. I also experience the same issues of lagging, skipping, fast-forward, politician speak (i.e... double speak - hearing two voices at once), etc.

I know the network Apps I download do not have this issue. This is specific to Hulu.
    I also did not have this issue with the Spectrum app.

So, I downloaded the TNT app to my phone so I could watch the NBA playoffs. Unfortunately, despite the NBA on TNT being "Presented by Hulu," I could not log in to the app with my Hulu account (you can with PlayStation Vue and others). I can log in to the ESPN app.

• Susan F McCorkle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still the same buffering issues on the Apple TV. I talk to support about once a month and they still have no solution. If a tester would simply hook up an Apple TV the issue will become VERY obvious. 400mbit down hard-wired and I get horrible double audio, skipping, freezing, pixelation, etc. It's been forever guys. At least acknowledge you have a developer trying to fix this please. I'll gladly help. ;-)

• Kathleen Wilkes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having lots of problems on Hulu channels that I don't get when I access apps directly through Roku. Buffering not uncommon. MSNBC live as others have noted is especially bad for some reason. Cuts segments short to go to commercial; slows down during broadcast; audio (voice) out of synch and dragging down. I don't see that on other channels but buffering, yes.

• Stuart Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So 8 minutes in to the finale of American Idol and it starts to buffer. Good grief what benefit is this over OTA TV?

• Dylan Reid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta should be free, this is nonsense. Hulu live tv is impossible to use and watch. Constantly freezing. For live sports, its impossible to enjoy the game since I'm constantly freezing, skipping, and audio echoing issues. FuboTV has worked great for me, not as many channels but they are growing and their streams are much more solid and affordable.

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is unimaginable to me that Hulu is charging for the Beta Live that is nearly unwatchable. Make me endure the incredible frustration of losing time in a stream, fine... but don't steal from me for the pleasure as well. I can tell you that my experience (100down) is that almost every natural commercial break in a broadcast causes a lapse. I stepped up to the commercial free Hulu to test if the forced Hulu ads were the cause of lapses, but I find the broadcast exit point to a natural commercial triggers the freeze as well. So, when will this be fixed? Don't you have a responsibility to communicate a fix date if you're still charging us? I mean... class action suit, anyone? Seems like you'd want to protect yourself from that sort of thing by really great communication at least.

• Soha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unwatchable, do not sign up for this. I went through so much trouble to watch the NBA playoffs but all I'm getting is buffering and glitching. Do not pay.

• chase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same issues. Purchased Hu!u specifically to watch NHL Playoffs.

50mb/s connection. Always buffering and very poor quality when it isn't buffering. Regretting this.

• robert reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MSNBC is unwatchable. It hangs up, fast forwards, rewinds, audio goes out of sync from the video, audio doubles and triples creating an echo chamber. I’m seeing this on other channels, but not to the degree seen on MSNBC.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem with virtually ANY live sporting event I try to watch, at any time of day. NHL is absolutely the worst. Many times after freezing for several minutes, it switches to super-fast forward until it catches up. And I usually can't rewind to view what I've missed.

I was almost convinced that my internet provider was "throttling" my connection, since I've canceled their Cable TV service. Somewhat relieved that others are having the same issue, so it's likely NOT my provider.

I rarely have any problems streaming other services, using Apple TV and Roku devices over Wi-Fi.

• Reede Stockton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hulu lost me to YouTube TV over the buffering issue. I'll consider returning when I read that it has been fixed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 91 92

Feedback and Knowledge Base